+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 19' Howard Project

1. Default 19' Howard Project

Hi all -

I figured I'd start a thread on what has become my Howard project. I plan on asking a lot of questions and looking for a lot of information and or advice on a variety of subjects. I'd love for any and all to chime in with what they know. I've learned a lot by reading the wealth of information that is dispensed on this board and hope to learn a lot more.

The subject of this thread is a 1977 19' Howard semi-v, the old Schiada mold. This is my first boat, I bought it about a year ago with my dad (I'm 31)for $4850. It didn't expect it to become quite the project it has, but such is the life of a 'green' boat buyer. The boat needs some work, and because it needs some work, I've succumbed to delusions of grandeur, imagining what the boat could be if I had any mechanical skill and a few cubic dollars. Having little of both, that is where you guys come in.

The boat is/was rigged as a ski boat. What I'd like for the boat to become - an ugly, primer spotted, slower version of Brad's red Schiada 19, a fast family (sort of) cruiser that will seat 3-4 (even if it is uncomfortably). I'd like the hardware to be able to handle some horsepower, should the boat ever end up with any.

Here are a few pics. This is what the boat looked like when I bought it, doesn't look too bad in the pics but take my word for it, it looks worse in person.

2. Default

Of course the previous owner (third owner) conveniently left the title for the homemade, late 1960s built trailer at home. After some online detective work, I was able to track down and get a hold of the original owners who bought the boat new in '78 (and probably built the trailer). They were the last registered owners of the trailer that Oregon DMV had on file, I was able to send them the paperwork to sign off on and Oregon DMV issued me a title for the trailer. Without the Oregon title, AZ DMV was going to charge me a small fortune to title the trailer in AZ. I estimate the value of the trailer at about $100 and that is being generous. The original owners did send me the following pictures of the boat back when it was pristine. I'm guessing they were taken in the early 80s.

Hey Russ, nice boat you got there, I wouldn't mind having it!. it's a great ski boat the way it is, but if you want it to be like Brad's boat it means starting over from scratch, but I think you already know that!..

i like it...congrats
    Thanks to the men who have died for me
    Jesus and an American Soldier

theCampbellman

5. Default

After getting the boat to my parent's garage in Kingman, AZ, I started to find some disappointing stuff, glass that needed to be repaired, cast Glenwood engine mounts that had been abused, not to mention the bilge was filthy. Dirt, leaves, you name it. I decided everything needed to come out so I could scrub the inside with a nylon brush and some Simple Green. Unfortunately, living 350 miles away in Long Beach has taken its toll and it has taken me a year to get this far. I finally got the engine out over Labor Day weekend. I wasn't able to scrub it, but my dad did get a chance to sweep up a lot of the dirt that was in the bottom of the boat.

6. Default

Thanks guys. A guy can dream right?!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRacer View Post
    it's a great ski boat the way it is, but if you want it to be like Brad's boat it means starting over from scratch, but I think you already know that!..
    Art's comment brings me to my first question.

Can we discuss strut angle on this boat? Art, George, Brad (since you're got first hand knowledge)?

Howard/Schiada set these boats up with a 9 degree strut angle. These boats don't have any lifting strakes on the bow, the two strakes the boats do have start around the dash area, maybe a few inches back. I know a 7 1/2 or 8 degree strut is the most desirable, but how detrimental is the 9 degree strut? Can a 9 be made to work?

I know with the 12 degree bottom, these boats are keel runners and tend to run wet. Maybe the 9 degree strut dries them out a bit?

If I remember correctly, Brad's boat is still running a 9 degree strut? Brad (or Art since you're ridden in Brad's boat), does your boat tend to have a problem keeping the nose down?

Thumbs up

Id say if there is no delamination anywhere you got a good start on a really nice{what could be} first ski boat. That is a good running hull. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Pull View Post
    If I remember correctly, Brad's boat is still running a 9 degree strut? Brad (or Art since you're ridden in Brad's boat), does your boat tend to have a problem keeping the nose down?
    I drove Brad's boat and there's no problem keeping the nose down and that's off the plate, his seat is so far back I couldn't even push the plate all the way down on take off, could just barely get full throttle but no problems!...... Hey Brad, don't forget the phone books ok!..

Looks good. Keep at it. Many of us spent years getting ours together.
    REAL BOATS HAVE PROPELLERS

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

10. Default

Will do hm66.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRacer View Post
    I drove Brad's boat and there's no problem keeping the nose down and that's off the plate, his seat is so far back I couldn't even push the plate all the way down on take off, could just barely get full throttle but no problems!...... Hey Brad, don't forget the phone books ok!..
    That leads me to believe the 9* strut will work, assuming that is what Brad's boat has.

+ Reply to Thread